Here we go …
My very first ever Cloth Doll – and I tell you … this is fun.
She is already such a part of the family and being loved by all of us – and she doesn’t even have a head yet – how crazy is that!
Let me set the scene for you – you kind of need to know where she’s being created
I promise you I emptied the bin before I started – oh and also picked up the piece of paper on the floor … tsk tsk
- also notice how little “Miss Kitchy” is sitting perched on her broom able to check out everything that is about to happen!
Okay, let me remind you what we are aiming for
Trust me – my doll won’t look anything like this – and I do not say that because I don’t like the look of Jolie – I say that because my fabrics are very different and also, I think mine will end up looking a little less “Historical” and a bit more … oh well, I don’t know – let’s see where it ends shall we?
So now you know where I work – let’s get started!
I started by actually running off to get the pattern copied onto cardboard at the copy shop and then cut out all the bits and bobs – not too many actually but nevertheless it had to be done. I kind of enjoyed that – I like cutting paper and shapes.
Here are some of the cutouts on my black silk – ooh nice silk!
So me being me … well, when I looked at Jolie I was a bit unhappy with the way she has this doily thingy on her neck – I would prefer to keep her neck free of “stuff” so I decided that instead of making the torso all black I made it skin tone and black
Barbara (Willis) tells you to trace the pattern cutouts straight onto the fabric and then sew on the traced line – and when you then cut it after, you must add the seam allowance – and working with silk you must add quite a bit … now I know that I should be measuring this properly but this is where I’m a lazy artist and I just do … and so far it’s worked so “touch wood” it will continue to do so!
Barbara says “no curves” when you do the cutout … as you can tell I was a little unsure on this one so I did one of each …
… and once I turned it I couldn’t really tell the diff – I’m thinking it has to do with the silk fraying like mad!
Looks pretty good though … right?
Okay, onto the legs … I tell you – I fell head over heals in love with these legs – just divine they are!
again … sew ON the lines
Oh well … you can’t tell once it is turned – I dare you
and then the turning – with my new turning tools – ooh la la … had Miss Daughter hold so you can get an idea
and then guess what … I forgot to take a photo once it was finally turned but you sort of push the wooden dowel into the blue plastic piece and then you can pull it through with no problem … must remember to take a proper picture of this procedure … sorry!
Now for the fun part – filling those legs!
that skinny leg takes a LOT of stuffing!
Once stuffed Barbara then told me to tie off on the knee – to sew from back to front of knee and then tie the thread around the knee two to three times
And then it was all about stuffing the top bit of the legs.
Once stuffed, you then attach them to the back of the torso by machine – talk about looking like a frog!
and then you stitch by hand one side first so that you can fill the torso entirely and then you do the other side and “voila” her legs are now attached!
Fill her to the rim before you finish the other side
and this is where I’d had enough for the day – or to put it differently … this is when Mr. Hubby brought in the wine – and one should never drink and sew - look at the mess of the table now (maybe Miss Kitchy had a sip of the wine because she looks like she’s had more than enough!) … oh well …
but see – wine is good for so many things – and will you LOOK at those legs … I love love love her already …